I rarely add formatting to messages, and would rather the chat box in Slack only be a chat box like in Messenger (and like it was before). Instead now it's double as large and has formatting options I'll never use. How can you turn off Slack's formatting options?
A few cases where the new editor makes common tasks much harder:
@slackhq Markdown behavior had really gotten to be amazing before this rich version was added. I understand that as the market of Slack broadens, this could be helpful for many, but it does hamper/remove existing and useful functionality. An option to disable would be great!
We recently released a WYSIWYG editor to help you format messages in Slack. To the users who preferred the text markdown from before, we heard you. 🙇
Starting today, you can choose how you’d like to format messages by going to Preferences > Advanced > Input Options. #changelog
If you just want to hide the "kitchen sink" formatting toolbar, you can disable it as @maguay described below.
If you want to actually move back to the old Markdown-style formatting options, here's how you can do it:
If you use Slack in Chrome, this extension will revert the text formatting for you.
If you use Slack in Firefox, this extension will revert the text formatting for you.
Disabling the new text editor in the desktop app is a bit trickier but totally doable if you're willing to wade into some code. @kfahy outlined these instructions on Github (source):
1) Open the slack app in Developer mode
- On Mac OS X: export SLACKDEVELOPERMENU=true && open -a /Applications/Slack.app
- On Windows in a Powershell window (per user install): $env:SLACKDEVELOPERMENU="true"; & "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Slack\slack.exe"
- On Windows in a Powershell window (machine wide install): $env:SLACKDEVELOPERMENU="true"; & "$($Env:ProgramFiles)\Slack Deployment\slack.exe"
- On Ubuntu with Gnome (using Slack launcher): edit /usr/share/applications/slack.desktop replace Exec=/usr/bin/slack %U with Exec=env SLACKDEVELOPERMENU=true /usr/bin/slack %U
- On other OS's: ensure the SLACKDEVELOPERMENU environment variable is set to true before opening the Slack app.
2) Right-click in the app and Inspect element
3) Copy the contents of index.js
4) Paste into the Console tab
5) Repeat each time you reload slack or switch to a team for the first time
You can't fully disable Slack's formatting options, but you can hide the Slack formatting toolbar. Click the
Aa button in the lower right of Slack's chat box, and Slack will hide the toolbar. You can still use keyboard shortcuts to add formatting, or select text to see a hover toolbar with formatting options, but that'll at least save space and keep Slack looking a bit more like it used to.