Question

What surprised you about churn when putting together The Comprehensive Guide to Churn?

Mentioned
#ProfitWell
Share
Patticus's avatar
almost 3 years ago

Churn is a fact of life for a subscription company - like death and taxes. :)

Yet, the biggest surprise as I started studying churn and publishing findings on churn is the mechanical nature of a large portion of your churn. Right now for most subscription businesses roughly 40% of your churn could be solved through mechanical means. Put another way - 60% of your churn requires improvement in product, customer targeting, etc, but the other 40% could be cleaned up by getting your credit card failures in order, optimizing for the proper term for your customers, re-engagement campaigns, etc.

In product, we love to romanticize churn as the eternal pursuit of perfection that will keep the value driving for the customer and therefor keep them around. While there's some truth there, this view clouds growth managers from properly working on churn in most organizations. In reality, those mechanical bits matter. They'll never be the end all be all to your churn (and that 40% obviously fluctuates), but there's a lot more to do that is shorter term/medium impact when it comes to churn and retention.

1 point
maguay's avatar
@maguay (replying to @Patticus )
almost 3 years ago

Curious from a content marketing perspective: Do you see a higher conversion rate from content behind a signup wall such as this Churn Guide, or from your public, search-accessible blog content?

1 point
Patticus's avatar
@Patticus (replying to @maguay )
almost 3 years ago

Hard to say. Quality of conversion is better for the ebook, volume may be better for our SEO optimized posts. I'm not against forms. I just feel you need to use them in the right places if that makes sense.

1 point
sarah's avatar
@sarah (replying to @Patticus )
almost 3 years ago

Any products you'd recommend to help with identifying the 60% churn?

1 point
Patticus's avatar
@Patticus (replying to @sarah )
almost 3 years ago

A great product team. Really the only folks who are going to be able to work through those problems.

1 point

This question is part of an AMA with Patrick Campbell.

View entire AMA with Patrick Campbell.
What's the best video conferencing app for internal discussions?

Three major considerations I have been using to evaluate the plethora of options available: 1. Effortless/non-intrusive: It shouldn't feel like a video call 2. Price: As this app would be complime...

Confluence alternatives for wiki/knowledge bases?

I've been looking to try something new for knowledge/documentation storage for a little while now. Confluence has always been there, but I find it to be relativly limited for the cost and additiona...

How do you manage your chat inbox?

Hey guys, first post here. As part of my work, I have to deal with and respond to a lot of incoming messages from different chats: Linkedin/WhatsApp/Signal/IG. I try to use Unreads/Archive features...

The community for ProfitWell  power users.